To compete in today’s global economy, strong economic development that fosters vibrant communities is central to building a prosperous region. The Centralina Community Economic Development (CED) department addresses economic challenges and disadvantages within our nine-county region, working directly with elected officials, government municipalities, community leaders and the private sector. We provide technical assistance, staff and expertise and help leverage private and public resources to improve housing, public infrastructure and downtown revitalization.
Community Development Services
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) entitlement administration for designated jurisdictions
- North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) infrastructure grants and administration for water/sewer improvements and asset inventory grants
- North Carolina Housing Finance Agency housing rehabilitation grant programs
- North Carolina Department of Commerce economic and downtown redevelopment grant
Technical Assistance Services
- Code enforcement and creation of residential / commercial ordinances
- Downtown redevelopment and strategic visioning assessments
- U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA) / U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) / U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) grant preparation
The Centralina CED also staffs and manages the Centralina Economic Development District, a public-private entity created to empower local communities by preparing and implementing U.S. Department of Commerce and Economic Development Administration (EDA) strategic plans and grant applications. The goal is to promote a diversified and innovative regional economic base, advocate sustainable growth and support jobs development through expansion, retention and recruitment of business and industry.
Designated by the U.S. EDA as the approved Economic Development District for the region, the Centralina Economic Development District is responsible for developing and maintaining the regional Centralina Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS). Learn More