Be part of a creative team in a dynamic & diverse region!
Who We Seek:
Centralina Regional Council seeks an energetic, self-directed individual for the position of SENIOR PLANNER OR ASSISTANT REGIONAL PLANNING DIRECTOR to manage a variety of planning initiatives and serve as a point person and information provider to local governments and various agencies on planning issues. The person in this role will prepare and deliver related presentations; plan and coordinate meetings, workshops, and other events; perform grant research, writing and management of related projects; fully manage high impact projects; serve on internal committees; and assist the director on project and administrative initiatives and tasks. In years one and two, this position will be primarily funded through grant funds and will lead the creation of the region’s first climate action plan. High performing applicants will have the opportunity to remain in place to implement the plan.
The successful applicant will understand the importance of positive relationships with local communities and agencies in the region; will demonstrate the skills needed to manage both people and projects and solve problems in a professional manner; and will understand how the department’s program activities interrelate and complement one another, how our programs relate to other Centralina Departments, and how programs meet overall Centralina goals and member needs.
Centralina Regional Council is an innovative regional planning agency located in Charlotte, NC with a membership that includes 50+ local governments throughout the Greater Charlotte Region. Centralina works with individual communities and leads major projects that transcend local and regional boundaries. Our mission is to lead regional collaboration and spark local action to expand opportunity and improve quality of life. Learn more about our work www.centralina.org.
The Centralina Team:
Centralina strives to provide an inclusive, creative and supportive work environment for its employees. Centralina’s staff of nearly 50 individuals serve as subject-matter experts to ensure our organization is able to meet critical business needs and is responsive to the needs of those that need our help the most. Centralina’s staff of friendly, talented and professional individuals helps ensure Centralina remains a trusted source of data and analysis that informs decision makers and calls attention to important trends. Centralina is a great place to work, learn and grow in your career.
Centralina offers its employees an excellent benefits package including membership in the NC Local Government Retirement System, 401k, medical, dental, vision and flexible benefits programs.
Description of the work:
Major duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Developing and implementing regional planning programs/projects and local government technical assistance projects in the areas of land use, transportation, environment and energy.
- Assisting the Regional Planning Director with annual program planning, budget preparation, development of the annual planning retreat, annual training calendar, and bi-weekly staff meetings.
- Coordinating grants and contracts for execution and implementation.
- Assisting the Regional Planning Director in marketing and communicating planning services through various communication methods.
- Maintaining and growing relationships with existing and new partner agencies and organizations.
- Demonstrating leadership within the department, the organization and the region.
- Assisting the director in providing internal training and team building activities to enhance department leadership.
- Researching trends and emerging issues on program activities.
- Marketing and publicizing program areas of assignment.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Include but are not limited to:
- Considerable knowledge of relevant federal, state and local laws and regulations and of policy changes and advances/changes to programmatic areas of responsibility.
- Considerable knowledge of regional issues, plans and programs.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at the federal, state, regional, local levels and with elected officials.
- Ability to provide leadership to other staff including planners, interns, and project team members.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing and lead various meetings and events, make presentations and answer questions at public or project meetings.
- Ability to coordinate the preparation of or prepare presentations, charts, maps (GIS), graphs and other illustrative materials for presentations to elected officials, public and other stakeholders.
- Ability to perform a variety of duties including research, drafting plans and reports, grant development and administration, budget development and administration, etc.
- Project management skills.
Minimum Experience at a Glance:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a field of study in planning, public policy, urban design, public administration, geography or related field and five to seven years of experience (for Senior Planner) or seven to nine years of experience (for Assistant Regional Planning Director) or an equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Master’s degree and AICP certification preferred. Local government planning department experience is desired. Hiring Salary $63,500 – $84,500 depending on education and experience.
Applicant must possess a valid driver’s license and have the ability to physically perform the basic life operation functions of standing, walking, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions, the ability to lift 20 pounds of force occasionally and possess the visual acuity to prepare data, proof work, and do extensive reading.
How to Apply:
Interested individuals are encouraged to send résumés and a cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Senior Planner / Assistant Regional Planning Director.” Deadline: Open until filled with rolling interviews. Interested applicants encouraged to apply early. EOE.dd