According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, the nation’s freight transportation system moves 55 million tons of goods worth more than $49 billion every day. The efficient, reliable, and safe movement of goods and commodities by the Greater Charlotte Region’s freight transportation system is critical to the continued growth and success of our region’s economy.
Everyday, products designed and manufactured in the region are shipped to national and global markets. In 2013, the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC MSA became the 31st largest export market in the U.S. with merchandise shipments totaling $10.7 billion.
The Freight Mobility Plan will help ensure the competitiveness of the region’s freight systems and help position this region for future funding and assistance.
In the short-term the project will:
- Establish a solid collaborative decision-making process and network of partners,
- Quantify real needs for future systems to more robustly support economic development, and
- Define feasible solutions supported by private and public stakeholders
In the long-term the project will:
- Guide the region’s investments in its freights transportation infrastructure
- Leverage existing regional assets, and
- Improve productivity of the transportation system and the firms who rely on them