The 7th Annual Planning for Healthy Communities Conference took place on November 5, 2019 at the Gastonia Conference Center and featured a morning keynote by Pam Diggs of Youth Powered Solutions (YES!) on equity and including youth and young adults at the table. It also included lightning round presentations on opioid misuse, affordable housing, and increasing access to healthy foods and for the first time, mobile tours on greenways, placemaking and walkability. A link to a pdf of each presentation can be found below.
- Morning Keynote: Planning for Equity in NC: Who’s at the Table? with Pam Diggs, Director of Programs & Racial Equity at Youth Empower Solutions! (YES!)
- Breakout Session: Recreational Opportunities for Older Adults with Tracy McGinnis, Director of Philanthropy, Southminster & Michael Dorsey, Wellness Coordinator, Active Living and Parks Cabarrus County
- Breakout Session: Local Successes in Health Equity with Chris Gash, Community Quarterback, Cleveland County Schools & Alyssa Mouton, Health Education Supervisor, Gaston County Department of Health and Human Services
- Lightning Round Session: Best practices for Healthy Communities
- Breakout Session: Mapping Health with John Davis, Director of Lincoln County Parks and Recreation & Erin Hostetler, Program Coordinator, Energy and Environment Innovation & Foundation, LLC
- Breakout Session: Health in All Policies with Steve Yaffe, Proprietor, Yaffe Mobility Consulting LLC & Dave Foster, Principal, Community Solutions
- Mobile Tour: Placemaking in Gastonia with Kim Wallis, Planner, City of Gastonia
- Mobile Tour: Greenways and Active Transportation in Gastonia with Jason Thompson, Planning Director, City of Gastonia
- Mobile Tour: Walkability Audit of Downtown Gastonia with Katie Kutcher, Aging Programs Coordinator, Centralina Area Agency on Aging
Organizers received 5 hours of American Institute of Certified Planners Certification Maintenance for those who attended the entire conference. To log the event please visit: https://www.planning.org/events/eventmulti/9189212/ .
For previous conference presentations, please contact Carina Soriano at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 704-688-7035.