Centralina Council of Governments (Centralina) seeks a creative, well-organized and customer-service oriented individual with a strong background in local government policy and administration for the position of Government Affairs and Member Engagement (GAME) Coordinator. The GAME Coordinator will provide technical services that increase Centralina’s profile as a resource and trusted partner to our member governments and regional stakeholders.
CCOG is an innovative regional planning agency located in Charlotte, North Carolina with a membership that includes 60+ local governments throughout the Greater Charlotte Region. CCOG’s mission is to lead regional collaboration and spark local action to expand opportunity and improve quality of life.
MAJOR DUTIES include but are not limited to:
Government Affairs & Special Projects
- Contributing to and eventually leading technical assistance projects for local governments on a range of public administration, human resources and strategic planning topics;
- Managing the intake of member inquires for support/services and tracking the impact of Centralina’s local government support portfolio;
- Building relationships with member governments to understand needs and design programming in response to those needs;
- Contributing to the organization’s intergovernmental affairs agenda by monitoring state and federal legislation, funding opportunities and engagement efforts;
- Participating in the planning and implementation of GAME meetings, workshops and/or training, including the CCOG Board of Delegates Meetings, Regional Managers and Regional Mayor peer groups;
- Identifying and synthesizing best practices in public administration and management for Centralina’s publications and professional development programming.
Member Engagement & Communications
- Creating content, formatting and copy editing the newsletter, website and social media accounts;
- Monitoring social media channels and responding to feedback, questions and concerns; and
- Assisting with member engagement and communications activities that promote the new Centralina brand, regional priorities and department services.
The individual in this position will work in cross-departmental teams and will be expected to develop a strong working knowledge of Centralina’s operations and policy areas in order to fulfill the duties of the position. In addition, the individual must be customer service-oriented with the ability to be tactful and courteous and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of individuals including elected officials, governmental agency representatives, stakeholders, the general public, staff, etc. Successful candidate must also be very detail oriented and possess the ability to multitask and manage multiple and simultaneous priorities. Considerable knowledge of basic editing in the AP-style and ability to use correct grammar, vocabulary, and spelling is required. Experience in graphic design and content management systems like WordPress is a plus.
Bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, public administration or closely related field with a strong background in local government policy and three to five years’ experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. A Master’s degree is preferred. Hiring Salary: $47,000-$50,000 with excellent benefits.
Send cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until filled with rolling interviews. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply early. CCOG is an equal opportunity employer.